DISPARITIES WITHIN THE FOSTER SYSTEM AMONG PEOPLE OF COLOR

In NY, black families more likely to be split by foster care system

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/6/25/new-york-foster-care-system-racial-disparity.html

 Many of us know too well, that the black population is very much present in the foster care system, and even though the state provides incentives such as subsidy it is much more difficult to get a child of color adopted than the other race.

Most times, a teacher will see a child without proper clothes and or shoes and automatically label that child as being neglected and makes a call that changes this child's life most times for the worst, rather than see the need, provide the service to satisfy that need.  A child may be in situation where mom works over time to support, but may need a little help. sometimes for fear of being labeled she does not seek government assistance, but a friend that cares may be just what she needs to understand that you can ask for help and not be labeled. 

When I was separated from my husband for a few months, I was worried how I was going to take care of the girls, so I sought the assistance of the state.  During the interview process, first thing I told the lady was that I never wanted to be in this position where I had to come to you for help. I felt embarrassed and ashamed, you know what she said to me, " you are not the first and will not be the last, you would be surprised the kind of people that are on assistance, its there to help take it if you need it."  I must say that once I was approved, I felt much more confident knowing that I could provide better for my kids. I could use the money I was getting from my intern job to provide shelter, while the state provided us with food. 

Racial statistics

People don't want to seek help because they feel that it puts them at risk for having their "business" out there and more of a target for CPS in their lives.  We know that people of color are at a greater risk of being a part of the system, than the white population.  Our children and parents are targeted, just because someone decides that the struggles we go through for our children is not enough so they label us as neglectful and abusive.  We know that these types of biases are everywhere and felt by many, "Bias is everywhere,” said Sandra Bernabei, the president of New York City’s chapter of the National Association of Social Workers. “You will see disparities in all points of entry that children of color are taken in at higher numbers. They stay longer. They are placed in long-term care longer.”

We need to do more to prevent our children from being a part of the system. We need to educate ourselves to do better.  Our children deserve that from us.  For those of us who are struggling out there to make a better life for your family, don't be afraid to ask for help, its best to ask than not to and make a mess of the situation.  I know that sometimes I rather do things on my own, but when I realize that I can do much more with help then I take that help.
 
Let's work together to change the numbers and bring our children home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The effects of parental components in a trauma-focused cognitive behavioral based therapy for children exposed to interparental violence

"When he walked out and she moved in"

TROPICAL STORM ERIKA HAS HIT THE ISLAND OF DOMINICA